Caregiving for an individual with a traumatic brain injury can be a challenging task whether they are in residential care or living in your home. Rainbow Rehabilitation Centers’ professionals can help provide education and support on an individual level; we also offer a family support group. Additionally, there are a number of resources available to caregivers online.
- The Family Caregiver Alliance has educational resources as well as information on policy and advocacy as a caregiver. Links to local and online support groups are available: https://www.caregiver.org/
- The Caregiver Action Network website has a number of resources available to new and experienced caregivers including articles on self-care, communication strategies, managing medical appointments, etc.: http://www.caregiveraction.org/
- The National Alliance for Caregiving also has a nice list of resources available to help family caregivers http://www.caregiving.org/resources/general-caregiving as well as professionals that assist caregivers: http://www.caregiving.org/resources/for-professionals
Due to a history of discrimination, LGBTQ individuals may not feel comfortable discussing family dynamics in a health care setting. Providers must be aware that caregivers in LGBT relationships may have different circumstances due to legal and societal issues and therefore, specialized information should be made available as appropriate. For resources on caregiving and issues that may be unique to this population, please visit the following websites.
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging: www.lgbtagingcenter.org
- US Department of Labor Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA): https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/
- Updated information about how the FMLA was affected by the US Supreme Court decision in the case United States v. Windsor can be found here: https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/spouse/index.htm
- Lambda Legal has resources on how to protect your health care wishes and guidance when making end of life decisions with respect to equality: http://www.lambdalegal.org/publications/take-the-power